I might just like La Petite’s suggestion the best. Keep the name, change the mascot to a potato.
But if the owner won’t put his money into spuds, he could try these suggestions, also from La Petite.
- Washington Lincolns — mascot, a stove pipe hat similar to the cheesehead
- Washington Congress — Instead of practicing, they just stand and argue.
- Washington Georges — white wig, false teeth, I can see it now!
- Washington Minutemen — slogan, You musket to the end zone!
- Washington Gridlock – along the same line as Congress, see above
- Washington Eagles — oops, the Eagles are already taken. How about the turkeys?
- George Washington Bridge – ooh, that’s closer to New Jersey gridlock than Washington
- Washington Patriots — oh, wait, they’re already in Boston and call themselves New England.
- Washington Weebles — they wobble, but they don’t fall down!
Meanwhile, whatever will we eat when the Packers formerly known as Acme play the renamed football club?
Well, readers, what do you think?
Ha! Good suggestions. I cannot believe this clown of an owner can’t just rename the darn team already. What a dope.