I might just like La Petite’s suggestion the best. Keep the name, change the mascot to a potato.
But if the owner won’t put his money into spuds, he could try these suggestions, also from La Petite.
- Washington Lincolns — mascot, a stove pipe hat similar to the cheesehead
- Washington Congress — Instead of practicing, they just stand and argue.
- Washington Georges — white wig, false teeth, I can see it now!
- Washington Minutemen — slogan, You musket to the end zone!
- Washington Gridlock – along the same line as Congress, see above
- Washington Eagles — oops, the Eagles are already taken. How about the turkeys?
- George Washington Bridge – ooh, that’s closer to New Jersey gridlock than Washington
- Washington Patriots — oh, wait, they’re already in Boston and call themselves New England.
- Washington Weebles — they wobble, but they don’t fall down!
Meanwhile, whatever will we eat when the Packers formerly known as Acme play the renamed football club?
Well, readers, what do you think?