The physical therapist rattled off several reasons why using a cane would be a good idea while I’m recovering from the stroke-that-wasn’t that weakened my left side. I promptly forgot most of the reasons, but I did remember how to properly size the cane and how to use it correctly. Here is my version of the top ten reasons Daisy should use a cane. I’m sure you can figure out which reasons came from the PT and which came from my own mind.
10. Amigo is no longer the only cane user in the family.
9. I can wrap red ribbon around it for the holiday season.
8. Using a cane will provide support and limit fatigue.
7. A cane is a handy defensive weapon.
6. It lets me rationalize using the elevator.
5. The cane prevents me from developing an odd gait that favors the weak side.
4. Along with my adorable new vintage hat, it makes me look “professorial”, according to at least one coworker.
3. It’s a great prop – allows me to break into a softshoe dance in the middle of the halls.
2. It reminds me to slow down, I might be moving too fast. I’ve got to make the morning last!
1. It’s a great fashion accessory.