>Are you almost out of rhubarb? I’m not. I transplanted mine to make more room for the raspberry plants (that I AM going to harvest before the birds do, darn it), and the rhubarb is once again thriving. I’d better use up the bucket of rhubarb in my freezer so I can pick and freeze a fresh batch!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
2. Stir in rhubarb and coconut. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread over cooled cookies. Store in the refrigerator.
Possible add-ins: coconut (see above), 1 teaspoon orange zest, a few chopped tart cherries